Friday, May 6, 2011

Hebrew in Russia & The 80's

I guess you been wondering about the title on today's Blog, I had a weired "finding things" kind of day.
The day started at 7:30 to get ready for morning gym training, it seems my ice skating team only trains once a day at this time of the season and I got a lot of catching up to do on the technique side, so I prefer to do a solo training in the morning with a great skater/coach/friend that keeps helping me out (His the only English speaker here)

                         The gym room at Kolomna ice rink
Today I skated to the arena for the 1st time, 2.5Km on road with cars, the Russian roads are pretty bad, tons of hole's and it's totally not flat, the bumpers are nasty, but the main city road is silky smooth, I did there 48km/h of speed along the cars, the drivers were nice ! nobody horn, they were watching me skate nicely without being the typically drivers, this way of behavior was new to me, Israeli driver are not so tolerant.
I got to the ice rink at around 8:30 and did my workout at the gym, a lot of work on "Keeping my ass down".
The coach told me few days ago that I could be a good ice speedskater, if I only learn the right technique of being low with my ass down, inline world is quite different.
After gym I went to the coach room to take my inline boots, and than I found some old Russian history from the 80's, a Russian inline speed skating boot, it was so rusty and old...Funny how people did our sport 30-50 years ago, with this old gears, the frame was attached by studs and you can't move it an Inch.

Old 80's Russian speed skating boot

When I got home, it was time for some shopping at the local center...While I'm doing the shopping, I was quite sure I imagining, because I was sure I seen Hebrew letters in the middle of this supermarket.
You got to understand, I'm 90km away from Moscow, in a small town named Kolomna, anything between Kolomna and Israel/Hebrew is something that is far from happening.
I had to check what I saw, when I got near it, I started to laugh so hard, I was amazed to see "Passover" (Jewish Holiday) food in the middle of nowhere ! And they think it's a chocolate dessert, the Jewish people hates to eat this as part of Passover for only 7 days, and here it's on the candy's bar.

An Hebrew "Matza" package


It was surely nice, to be the only guy in the supermarket (And I guess the only one in all city as well) who can read the Hebrew letters, and really knowing what this "Matza" is.....This was my funny day of finding things....A day with smile is always a good day, so keep smiling, do what you love, and see you laters :)

2 comments:

  1. I think they got it at closeout price after passover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a possiable option, I can't think of any idea why the hell will a Russian kid ask his mother : "Mom, will you please buy me a Matza at the supermarket while your there"

    ReplyDelete